Sunday, February 3, 2013

Directing Team

I woke up this morning to the news that One Life to Live's Jill Mitwell (and her directing team, which included me, as an AD and a Stage Manager) won the 2012 Director's Guild (DGA) Award for Daytime Drama.  It's amazing to think that One Life to Live aired just ten episodes in 2012--over a year ago--and one of them won a DGA award.  I guess what we did back then did live on after all.

I didn't go to the awards ceremony. Numerous East Coast commitments have generally kept me from attending LA awards ceremonies, so I wasn't there applauding during or toasting afterward.  But when I read the news this morning, I couldn't help but be transported back to the days when I talked Bob Woods and Hilary B. Smith through their cabin scenes as a Stage Manager and talked camera operators through scenes of Heaven as an Associate Director.  I was reminded of what it means to be a directing team--to work together to make a Director's vision a reality. It mattered that my Stage Manager colleagues and I made sure the props were on set.  It mattered that my AD colleagues edited the pieces and parts to make a moving story.  It mattered that my Production Associate colleagues kept track of continuity, given that the episode was shot on multiple days.

And so, when I read the news this morning, I realized that it didn't matter so much that I wasn't there to hear the award winner announced.  I was there when it really mattered, working as part of a team that made the award-winning show.  And while I may give up a trip to LA and the chance to glam up for a night, I will never give up the memory of being part of that team.  And I will keep looking forward to my next team.


5 comments:

  1. Here here. Well done, Tracy. As always, you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you and to the others on Jill's team, you guys really cared and it showed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly stated, as usual. Glad we were all there together when it counted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brought tears to my eyes and you NAILED it... all that mattered is being part of THE team! You all were one group I think of and miss often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Tracy. I am truly grateful to have been on your team. It was a soulful show. With Jill's passion for emotional symphony and precise detail, how could it not? It is an honor to share this award with not only a colleague, but a friend as well.

    ReplyDelete