Thursday, May 26, 2022

In The Oddest Places

I wake up from my morning nap to a text from one of my kids asking the same question as I was asked the night before. And several hours later, there is another text, just reminding me that the question still needs an answer. 

Nagging? Maybe. Relentless? Perhaps. My kids can certainly be those. But today, I choose to call it inspiring.

Why inspiring, when the asking and re-asking threatens to undermine my precious sleep and interrupt the work of daily life? And could be considered annoying and self-involved and completely oblivious to anything else I might have going on?

Why inspiring? Because in that moment, they are single-minded and determined. They are so intent upon accomplishing whatever it is that they want that they make sure they get their questions answered. They make sure they continue to move forward.

Too many times, I step back before getting all my questions answered. I defer too much to someone being busy or otherwise involved. I stay polite instead of fighting the fight. So, when I see my kids fight for what they are trying to accomplish, I am inspired. Results take action, and action often takes follow up. Often a LOT of follow up.

Sometimes it takes a kid (nagging or otherwise) to show us the ropes we thought we already knew. To remind us not to stop short of success. And sometimes, the greatest inspiration for what we do out in the world can be found awfully close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment