Friday, April 8, 2022

It’s Time

few weeks ago, in response to my social media “happy birthday” to a former co-worker, he wrote “thank you” (because people do), and that he hoped I was still writing.

The truth is, most of my writing of late has been in the form of helping kids edit cover letters and college essays. And drafting forceful emails to accomplish things. Or simply “writing” in my head. But his comment stuck with me—through the daily chaos, and the overnight work shifts, and the noise of the world, and the revolving door of family and friends and coworkers. So, maybe that means it’s time….

Time…to allow myself to put out into the world what I’m thinking.

Time…to stop worrying that each phrase I put to paper and to the internet won’t be politic enough, or interesting enough, or good enough.

Time…to think deeper thoughts than how much sleep I will get this morning and what I will make for dinner tonight.

Time…to let everything and everyone go, for just long enough each day to write the few hundred words that I wrote, day in and day out, for five-plus years.

Time…to remind myself that while I may be a mother and a wife and a director and an editor and a technician and a short-order cook, I am also a writer. As most of us are, in fact, more than the two or things that people see.

So, with thanks to that friend who just had a birthday, here we go.

Because it’s time.

8 comments:

  1. It’s nice to see you’re back! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s nice to have you back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding, it is good to see you jump back in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Good for you! Miss u.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I remember your writing. Glad to see you do it again. And what??? College essays? Not possible

    ReplyDelete