Saturday, April 30, 2022

Revolving Doors

I live in a New York City apartment building, complete with a revolving lobby door—both an entertainment and a danger for my kids when they were little. It is a daily part of my life, and has been for so long that I hardly think about it. Except for the fact that these days, I am beginning to see my whole life as a revolving door.


Strictly literally, the members of my household use that lobby revolving door at all hours of the day. When others are off to sleep, I am off to work. As I nap, others head off or arrive home. Around and around, day to day, who will be home, or eating, or sleeping at any given time is anyone’s guess.

There are days when life outside my home is no different. Who will be at work with me? With a shift-based schedule, it’s hard to predict from day to day. What will I do at work? With a job in news, it’s similarly hard to predict. And with a work force that changes daily from the pandemic, from company policies, from people’s life changes, all I can really do is keep my balance as that door goes ‘round.

Do I feel as though I’ve been spun through that door a little too fast? Some days. But somehow, a revolving door always gets you to the other side. So, as I juggle work tasks and home tasks and the movement of the people in my life, all I can really do is go with the turn. I will come out on the other side. It just might take more than one time around to do it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It’s a near poetic experience to live among that type and of life rythum. It reminds me a little of the spin dry cycle in the wash.

    ReplyDelete