Monday, March 3, 2014

Happy Accidents

I had intended to go to a de-cluttering workshop today. After all, what apartment or brain can't use a little de-cluttering once in a while?
 

I never got there. Between kids and their homework and me and the housework, it just didn't quite work out. Instead, I ended up making sandwiches at a meals for the homeless program where many of my friends and their families volunteer. While my son was a peanut butter spreading maniac, I tried to keep up with the jelly, and was able to reconnect with friends as, together, we packed up several thousand sandwiches. Then we went home and, as always, attacked our cluttered apartment.
 

It would be easy to bemoan the fact that, as often happens, I missed something I wanted to do because it didn't fit in with the needs of everyone else. In this case, however, it turned out to be kind of a happy accident--in not fighting for something I thought I wanted to do, I ended up being part of something bigger (something that might not have given me instructions on how to de-clutter my home, but gave me a little perspective on whether de-cluttering pointers were what what I needed most).
 

Sometimes we need to do more than "go with the flow." Sometimes it's important to stand up for what we want.

But sometimes, a little happy accident ends up being just what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment