Sunday, March 2, 2014

Publishing

When I was in college, I wrote a play. Just a one-act, no work of genius, but produced in a small campus theater. Early in my soap career, I dabbled in writing scripts, and several years later, I wrote proposals for a few TV shows, one for kids, another for adults. And, over the last ten years, I have created chapters for both a book of essays and a children's educational series.
 

If you Google me, you will find none of these things. What you will find (in addition to assorted references to my twenty years in television) is this blog. While none of my other writing efforts made it to the outside world, a blog goes out each day, approved by no editor (except sometimes one of my children). It doesn't require pitches or an agent. It goes through minimal revisions. And it makes it to the outside world.
 

I'll admit, the process is a mixed bag. Along with the intense satisfaction of "publishing" every day comes the frustration of thinking of an idea or change right after I hit "publish." And yet, if there are things left out, there is always the next piece, or the next, at roughly 24-hour, not 24-month intervals. While a day's post may not be perfect, I can always move on to the next. And isn't that kind of what life is about--moving on from the "not so perfect," determined to make it just a little bit better next time?
 

So, for now, I remain a "publishing," yet unpublished author. I'm still getting it right, and I love having the chance every day to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment