Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Goggles That (Almost) Broke The Camel's Back

Despite it being Monday, I was okay today. I was surviving an edit room as cold as a meat locker. I was conquering the beasts on a to-do list and doing battle with online merchants who had missed their deadlines.
 

And then came the goggles. Well, actually, then came the LACK of goggles. You see, in order to play field hockey during school PE this month, my daughter needs sports goggles. By tomorrow. Problem is, the sports stores in NYC have not yet realized that such a need exists. (Is field hockey considered a suburban sport? And don't kids' eyes need to be protected for a lot of sports?)
 

So, in the precious moments of my mid-afternoon lunch break, and in the exhausted, pre-dinner and pre-laundry moments after work, I trekked to two sporting goods stores and a department store, none of which displayed anything even passable. And I returned home empty-handed and, frankly, pretty defeated. The goggle search had consumed time that I really need for other things and energy that I couldn't afford to spare. It had turned a survivable day into one that ended in failure. Failure that I felt right down to my tired feet.
 

Thankfully, all was not lost--once home, I resolved to write a note to the  gym teacher explaining the search. Goggles weren't gonna break me! 

Then, lo and behold, my husband discovered an old pair of goggles that just might work. But, by golly, I will never let a pair of goggles defeat me again! (a little like Gone With The Wind, huh?)
 

Next time, it will be an unusual color of shirt. Or an exotic vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment