Sunday, February 8, 2015

Cheerleader

When I was in high school, I desperately wanted to be a cheerleader. It was not meant to be. I wasn't terribly coordinated or flexible, and I can't imagine the little pleated skirt uniform would have done much for my figure. Still, I hummed the cheers in my head as I sat at school basketball games, and I had hope for a while, until I moved on to other things.
 

Looking back now, I'm not sorry I never became a cheerleader. I probably would have tired quickly of traveling all over with the various teams and having to smile and show off the uniform all the time. Sometimes, however, I think about the cheers and the energy that they brought. These days, being a cheerleader isn't about wearing a little uniform and hanging out with the cool kids. These days for me, being a cheerleader is about checking in on job-searching friends and reminding them to hope and stay strong. These days, being a cheerleader is about commiserating with other parents, cheering them on when they're going through rough stuff. These days, being a cheerleader is about encouraging younger co-workers to learn and explore and be the best they can be, and about supporting my kids through tests and rehearsals and life in general.
 

All those years ago, I couldn't make the cheerleading team, no matter how hard I tried. What I've learned all these years later is that, uniform or not, there's an important place for us cheerleaders who might not be able to do the jumps, but can spread the spirit. We all need a cheerleader on our side sometimes, and most of the time, we don't care if our cheerleader can jump the highest or dance the best. If she (or he) can give us a little "rah" when we need it, that's worth more than all the jumps and lifts and splits put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment