Monday, February 2, 2015

Sunday Night Limbo

I am quite sure that during my time at ABC, there were Sundays that I spent dreading Monday. Though I was working largely with friends, Monday still meant getting up and out early and possibly working late. Monday still meant proving myself, whether that was by timing the show correctly, or understanding the director's vision in the studio or in the edit, or directing scenes in a way that satisfied both the actors and my producer. 

Sunday is still Sunday, but these days, Sunday is more about question marks than about dread. Will I be working? When? Where? And will I need babysitting, or will my kids' activities and my work (or no work) line up some days so that we can cover the bases on our own? Once upon a time, all I needed was a good night sleep going into Monday. These days, it sometimes seems as though I need a compass and a road map. 

So what about that dread I sometimes had? Usually, it was unfounded. Once I showed up and started working, things generally worked out. It might be early, and it might be long, but it was just the way work was, and the next day, I'd do it all over again. The difference now is that "all over again" has become a relative term. In a freelance life, no two weeks are necessarily the same, meaning that no two Sundays can be counted on to be the same either.

Today was a Sunday of limbo, ending in a Sunday night preparing to work on Monday. As for next Sunday, who knows? I've got a whole week-- working or not--before I'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment