Friday, February 6, 2015

Out Of The Little Room

I've been editing in a little room. I have a table and a chair and an editing computer, a giant air conditioner behind me and a TV monitor above me. And with the exception of trips to the coffee maker and the microwave, I don't leave my little room much. You could argue that this sounds ridiculous. But I like my little room, and I focus better when I stay there.
 

These past few weeks, I haven't spent much time editing in my little room. Circumstances shift, and things change, and we are pushed out of the comfort of our little spaces to see what is out in the world. It can be scary. After all, when you're in a little space with a lot of focus, it feels that you are accomplishing big things. When you step out of the small space into the big world, it's harder to see the accomplishments, harder to focus on the task at hand. It can be scary, but it can also be exciting. Outside of the little room, there are new people to meet and new things to learn and new focus and accomplishments to be found. Leaving the little room doesn't mean we can never go back. It just means exploring, and maybe even enjoying, a few things beyond the door. Stepping out of a place of comfort into to a place of new adventures.
 

My little room has given me so much--new knowledge, new skill sets, new accomplishments, new friends. But sometimes, it's time to open the door and take a few steps--enough steps, at least, that we can see a bit of what's outside our little rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment