Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Edit Profile

In the early dark hours of this morning, I changed my LinkedIn profile. Nothing huge, really. Just changing my headline to freelance from employed on the online soaps. It wasn't about any big announcement or any series of rumors. It was about the fact that I haven't traveled to Stamford to AD or edit those shows in close to three months. It was time.
 

When I pressed "Save Edits," I was shaking.
 

This is not a step I haven't thought a lot about. I have, in fact, asked the advice of a variety of people. I mean, when you are on the job market, presentation matters. That being said, is it better to appear employed, but on a job that doesn't really exist anymore, or is it better to appear available, when that is really what you are? It's a tough one, and the variety of answers I got made me realize just how tough.
 

But, apart from all the answers, I got up this morning and just decided it was time. With a few clicks, I became Tracy Casper  Lang, Freelance Avid Editor/Associate Director. Concise and accurate. After a cup of coffee and a little more thought, a little tweak to Tracy Casper Lang, Freelance Avid Editor/Associate Director/Writer. And I was done. But I was shaking.
 

Every time we take a step forward, we are inevitably taking a step away from something. And leaving things behind can be hard, even when you know it's time. When I changed my LinkedIn, I was taking an early morning step forward, and yes, I guess a step away from what was great while it lasted.
 

And, luckily, on LinkedIn, as in life, the past doesn't go away--it just drops to a different part of your profile. Where you can see it any time you choose to look. And reminisce about it any time you'd like. No shaking necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment