Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Jury Duty, Day Two

Yesterday, I was twitchy. Confined to a room full of strangers, worried about all the things I wasn't doing and about how long I'd be kept here, unable to do all those things. None of those things have really changed. I still have a full list of things I could be doing, and there is still the possibility that I will end up being kept here, unable to do all those things.
 

Today, however, a peace of sorts has set in. You see, while I am required to be here, to show up by 9:30 and spend as long here as I am told, that is basically all that is expected of me. I will not be judged on how I sit, or what I do with my time. I need not be in a hurry--there's nowhere to go and nothing to finish. And anything I need to be doing outside of here will just have to wait, because I am required to be at jury duty.
 

In a world where we are judged on just about every move we make, whether it is what we accomplish at work or how the kids we are raising are doing in school and life, how we dress, or whether we look young or old, having any time during which we are NOT judged is rare. Very rare. And, as I am finding out on this jury duty adventure, kind of lovely. I can read, or write, or just stare off into space if I want. Sure, there is the possibility that I will be called into a room to answer questions about a case, but aside from sounding like the perfect juror and having to stay a bit longer, I will experience no real consequence from my answers. And whether being kept as a juror or being turned away is the better result, neither one will be a reflection of my intelligence or my performance. Again, kind of lovely.
 

So, for now, I am writing and reading, and enjoying Jury Duty, Day Two. Before I know it, I will be released into that world where I am judged on my actions and performance, not to return here for another six or so years. I might as well enjoy this while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment