Sunday, November 3, 2013

Rationalize Me

I sometimes wonder whether the key to a happy life is the ability to rationalize any situation. Do we say we're enjoying a job because we really are, or because that's what's available for us right now? Do we say our kid's school is a great match because, well, that's where he or she is in school and it just needs to work?
 

I tend to be an optimist, meaning that rationalization is my stock in trade. It certainly feels better when you can put a positive spin on things. The question is, what is more important--the rationalization, or the underlying reality?
 

One of the trickiest things about freelancing is never being quite sure if what you are currently doing is destined to be a long-term thing (which it would be nice to love) or a temporary one (which can work just fine without having to be the love of your life).
 

And since, for me, the freelancing thing is still pretty new, I'd say it's okay that it's still too early to tell.


I suppose that as an optimist (and, let's face it, as a mother of three), I have another stock in trade--the avoidance of dwelling on the philosophical questions when doing so gets in the way of just forging ahead with the realities. 

How's that for rationalization?


No comments:

Post a Comment