Wednesday, November 13, 2013

It Was A Privilege

When the soaps were alive and well in New York, they were both a very small world and a very large one. Very small, because writers and directors and actors and producers often migrated from one show to another, and very large, because, in addition to employing hundreds of people, the shows were separate enough that you could work on one and never meet many of the people on the others. But there were always people whose names you'd hear. And you'd wonder if they were anything like the people on your show, and how your show might be different if those people were there.

As I wrote many months ago, one of the best things about working on the soap reboots was getting to work with some of the people whose names I'd heard over the years. To attach faces to names, reality to reputation. So, while I might be sad that a gig--no, a small, but large world--has gone away, I can't be anything but happy about the fact that I got to visit that world again. After all my years on One Life to Live, I'd certainly met some of the soap greats--in front of and behind the camera. But in Stamford, I got a little more insight into the world we all shared, and into the dedication of the people who came up through it, just as I did. People I finally had the privilege of working with.

Today, it became real. What we shared is over. But, thanks to a really dedicated group of people, I can say that the fact that we shared it won't ever go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment