Saturday, November 2, 2013

Hiatus--Or Not?

Reminders come when you least expect them. Today, I went to the first Parents' Committee meeting for a youth theater group my daughter joined this year. While there was the talk of group events and fundraising that would be part of virtually any nonprofit or volunteer endeavor, there was also discussion of the activities the kids will be doing as part of the acting, singing, and dance training they will receive there. And before I knew it, I was brainstorming about who I knew from my years in scripted television who might be able to help--run a workshop, donate tickets, share theater experiences or advice. While my connection to that world seems to drift farther and farther away each day, in my heart, or my unconscious, it's all still there. I may not have seen my former colleagues in months or longer, but I still feel the connection to the world we shared. I still feel as if I know casting directors and stunt coordinators and actors and directors as well as if I had sat side by side with them yesterday (by the way, if you are any of those and would like to donate a few hours to teach some theater company kids some of what you know, let me know!)
 

It became clear to me today that my involvement with drama (or comedy)--whether it's theater or TV--is clearly not over. If it were, I would be volunteering to raise money and bring snacks and send emails and not much else. My twenty-plus years of working with creative people haven't ended. They're just on a little hiatus. We'll just have to see where I land once the hiatus is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment