Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Exceeding Expectations

When I asked my son to help clean today, I expected no more than some half-hearted rearrangement of mess. Let's face it, getting my kids' room to a state of calm took me the better part of last summer, so while I had high hopes for our result, I envisioned myself doing most of the work.
 

In the end, as my son puts it, he did two-thirds to my one-third. Sure, I got the garbage and give-away bags, but he nimbly came up with things to put in both. He may not have revolutionized his sisters' part of the room, and there may yet be work all around, but he rose to the occasion, really making and executing decisions about how he wanted his space and his things to look. I couldn't have done it better myself.
 

My point here, aside from the fact that I am proud of my son, is that, although I had some doubts, I stepped back and let my son prove himself, and that he did.
 

In our work lives, we are often quick to write off people because of their manner or because of our past experiences with them. And while there's nothing wrong with learning from experience, we can miss out on people's talents and abilities and potential by denying them the opportunity to rise to the occasion each time. Had I not allowed my son to show what he could do in his room, I would have ended today tired and grumpy about my having to do all the work to make the space livable. Instead, I ended the day invigorated about young potential, and excited to have a sidekick (or partner in crime, depending on your point of view). It's an approach that could benefit every workplace, when dealing with new and old employees alike. As I found out today, a little belief can help just about anyone exceed expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment