Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Not Guilty Pleasures

There's a big difference between days off in the city and real time away. For me, it's the time away that seems to give me permission to enjoy some guilty pleasures. I'm not talking massages and manicures. For me, guilty pleasures fall much more all over the map. So, for this time away, here goes...

1. House Hunters. There's nothing like imagining how little we could spend getting a mansion if we were to leave New York City!

2. Buffet restaurants. Did you ever notice that one of the most stressful parts of being a grown up is having to make decisions (for yourself AND everybody else) all the time? A buffet restaurant means no hard and fast decisions. It's every man, woman, and child for him or herself!

3. Scrabble for hours. Now that all my kids are old enough to play, it's a real family activity. And one where I actually have a chance of winning (and can enjoy watching my kids win sometimes too).

4. Central air conditioning. Everywhere. This is the South, where it's air-conditioned house to air-conditioned car to air-conditioned destination. I could get used to this!

5. Flipping through catalogs and circulars. At home, these things just accumulate. On vacation, I let myself get lost in them, whether it's to plan a shopping expedition or just to dream.

6. Shopping without schlepping. Where I live, what you buy, you carry. Filling a car trunk is definitely more fun.

7. Going to sleep early if I want. (And  getting up late if I want).

8. Separate corners--if we want. There's nothing better for a city family than having a little room to spread out for a few days.

9. Okay, I'm on vacation. 8 is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment