Friday, August 2, 2013

Can Your Friends Do This? Can Your Friends Do That?

Okay, this is a lyric pulled straight from Aladdin, in which my daughter performed tonight. In the show, the lyric is accompanied by cute little dance moves and a big musical number. For me, it was not just great entertainment. It was a reminder of what we, and the people around us, can accomplish, when the need or the inspiration arises, and we rise to the occasion.

On a day to day basis, we tend to do what is within our comfort zone. We go to jobs we know how to do, we travel routes that are the same from day to day. But some of our best experiences come when we step beyond that comfort zone, either out of necessity (a job change, a need to get somewhere we've never been before) or out of sheer inspiration. For me, it was something as simple as realizing I could drive a long stretch on roads I'd never traveled because, well, I had to. For a group of my friends, it is making a web series from the ground up. Mine is rather mundane, theirs a whole lot more exciting, but either way, it is taking that leap into the relative unknown.

I know what my "leap" did for me--it gave me just that little burst of confidence that I can stretch my limits more. I imagine their leap will do even bigger things, and I am looking forward to seeing the results of their leap, both in them and on the screen.

So, you ask, can your friends do this? When we, and they, choose to reach beyond our comfort zones, the answer is pretty clear. Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment