Sunday, August 4, 2013

Reruns

Though soap operas have rarely had reruns, I remember a number of times in my childhood when I watched episodes I had recorded more than once, looking for things I hadn't seen before. And I'm sure I watched certain episodes of I Love Lucy and The Brady Bunch way more than once. Would that life could have reruns--on demand, of course, only if there were things we really wanted to see or do again. Oddly, today was about as close to that as a person could get. We, as a family, revisited many of the same things I did with just my son on our trip out of town a few weeks ago--activities, meals, you name it.

You would think that this could have been very boring, but, like a good rerun, revisiting the places of our previous adventures has been unbelievably satisfying and enjoyable. In life, we always seem to be searching for the next big, new, original thing, but sometimes, the reruns can be just as good as the new stuff, often even better. I mean, who hasn't laughed crazy hard at a rerun of Green Acres or been scared when seeing the witch in the Wizard of Oz for the forty-seventh time? Sometimes, the good things just bear repeating.

So, while I wouldn't advocate making each day the same as the one before, I am living proof, both from my childhood and now, that allowing reruns into your life can be a wonderful way to enjoy some really great times more than once. And what better way to spend some time than to let a great rerun make you laugh?

No comments:

Post a Comment