Thursday, August 15, 2013

What's Gonna Work? Teamwork!

Borrowed from a children's show, I know. I couldn't help myself. Sometimes those preschool lessons are pretty powerful.
 

When I want to get something done, I tend to go the route of just trying to do it all myself. Whether it's in a control room shooting TV or at home cleaning the apartment, I generally take personal responsibility (sometimes more than I should) for making sure the result is good. The problem is, I only have two hands and two eyes and a limited amount of time. So in order to accomplish much in either arena, it's really better to work with a team.
 

On a show, the team is made up of people with particular specialties. As someone who interviewed me for a non-TV job pointed out once, just because I coordinated cameras doesn't mean I needed to know how to cable them--that was the job of the camera and utility people, and the team was strong because all the specialties were brought together. In a family, the team is a little trickier, since specialties are less defined. But, as I found out today, it is when we enlist our "team" that we can really accomplish things. It's not all fun and games, believe me. Teamwork requires a degree of patience and tolerance not as necessary when you choose to do something yourself. But both the efficiency and the level of satisfaction are better with teamwork. Team members can support and encourage each other, and having the ideas of a full team can make the process a lot more interesting and the result much more creative.
 

Sometimes at home, I forget how valuable my team members can be, especially now that they are old enough to have both creative and hands-on contributions. They may be way out of preschool, but the song still applies. Teamwork makes it work. And makes it a whole lot more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment