Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Small Victories, Big Accomplishments

There are days when a blog topic comes to me very early in the day. Either the day itself has particular significance, or something happens early on that just seems, well, blogworthy. And then there are days made up of a million little parts, most of which seem pretty mundane (even if they are quite enjoyable). It is on that second group of days that I say to the world (or at least to the family members close enough to hear me), "What should I write about today?"
 

Today, the answer that I got (from my oldest child) was a list of everything we had done. "But what of any of that is blogworthy?" I asked, to which she replied that while it might have seemed we hadn't done much, her list was evidence of the fact that we had done a lot. That sometimes it takes that comprehensive list to make us realize that we have accomplished far more than we think.
 

And there I had it.
 

We are always looking for the big ticket item, the earth shattering thing that makes the day worthwhile, even exciting, but most days in any given week, there is no big ticket item. If we are job searching, the important interview or long-awaited job offer comes only once in a while. If we are working in TV, the "very special episode" or the Emmy award come only rarely. So it is when we add up the small victories in each of our days that we truly realize how much we have accomplished. We sent out 5 job-related emails. We cleared out one corner of a cluttered apartment. We made a dinner that every household member liked. The list goes on. After all, when you're appreciating the small stuff, there's a lot to appreciate, because most of our days are made up of a whole lot of small pieces.
 

So, with the help of my daughter, I can say that this was most definitely a blogworthy day. And that is no small accomplishment. It's a big victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment