Tuesday, August 6, 2013

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

This title just makes me chuckle. After all, few of us grown ups have summer vacations we report back on come September. And while, yes, I currently am on vacation, it is not the kind of vacation many of my friends take, complete with an auto-reply message talking about limited access to email. My vacation is a time for me to breathe, to plan my own time a little more, and to worry about what the return to work or looking for work will hold. Yes, I read emails. Yes, I look at job postings. When we are working, who among us has the time or brain space to be thinking about next steps? But on vacation, a clearer head can very, VERY easily become cluttered with all those thoughts.

Lots of people have told me just to enjoy vacation, to leave job issues for when vacation is over. They mean well, I know they do. But for me, the processing time that vacation allows me helps me to see things differently, much as a student can see the world a bit differently in the summer than he or she does during a busy school year. The "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" report at the start of the school year is not just a reporting of events. It's about changes that happened while away from school. New perspectives from new adventures.

My summer vacation, both these few days and the others I've enjoyed along the way, will likely produce lots of stories. And the fact that I kept one eye on job stuff won't take away from that. It will simply mean that I have been using my new-found perspective in a variety of ways, so that when I "return" from vacation, I will be ready for September. Whatever my September brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment