Monday, August 19, 2013

Outgrown

I've been doing some of the Spring cleaning that never happened in the Spring because I was traveling to Stamford and working many, many hours each day, and, as usual, I am determined to make a substantial difference in our never enough room New York City apartment. My husband is of the belief that order will fix the problem, but I know better. Sometimes capacity is just finite (even when you are willing to build bookcases to the ceiling). In order to help the situation in any sort of substantial way, you have to decrease the inventory.
 

My kids did this last week. To my great surprise (and glee), they unloaded hundreds of books, toys, and games, most with not a second thought. Now it is my turn.
 

Here's the difference--the things my children eliminated were largely things they had outgrown, meaning their choices were fairly obvious. Kids grow and outgrow--not just clothes, but activities too. We adults are not necessarily so lucky.
 

So--how to make my own process of elimination as productive as theirs? When I am at my most ruthless, determined to make our apartment a leaner, more pleasant place to live, I begin with the idea "If we were moving, would I take this with me?" Packing and moving are no fun, so, if we were moving, which of the things around me would actually be worth packing? If I wouldn't be willing to pack and move something, why am I willing to have it take up space where I live now?
 

I'll admit, I'm far too sentimental a person to adhere to the "would I pack and move it?" guideline all the time. But it is a starting point, and it has helped me to sift through any number of things over the years.
 

Today, I added another thought to my cleaning motivation arsenal--"If I were working with people I'd never met before, would I wear that?" Let's face it, we all get attached to our clothes and a look we have developed, but if we really think about it, how many of the items that fill our drawers and closets really make sense? How many of them are part of a comfort level that we should really be moving beyond? How many of them have been around longer than any item should ever stay in one place?
 

So now, armed with two fairly solid motivational tools, I hope to finish the Spring cleaning at least before Fall starts. And, while I'm sure that I'd have a rude awakening if I ever really had to pack and move or if I found myself having to dress for a completely different kind of workplace, I'll at least try to go with the ideas for my Spring--I mean, Summer--cleaning. 

And perhaps along the way, I'll realize that grown ups can outgrow things too.

No comments:

Post a Comment