Friday, September 20, 2013

Thanks, But No Thanks

Today I received two "thanks, but no thanks" emails. And, as far as I'm concerned, it was a good day.
 

Why, you wonder, would I consider rejection a GOOD thing? I don't. I would have liked those gigs. What made it a good day was that the senders sent the emails. They gave me answers. Or direction. Or perhaps closure.
 

When you send that very personalized letter and very tailor-made resume out into the world, you are really sending a little bit of yourself. No matter how thick-skinned you try to be, putting yourself out there leaves you essentially standing outside the door, hand poised to ring the bell. And let's face it, it's exhausting to stand with your hand poised. The moment you are told either to come in or to go away, there is a relief of sorts. While you obviously want the "come in" option, even the "go away" lets you put your arm down. Not only can you rest the arm, you can continue on your journey, wherever the journey takes you (sometimes even back to that same door).
 

So, my journey continues, with the path still to be determined, but at least some of the questions answered.
 

All thanks to "thanks, but no thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment