Sunday, September 29, 2013

Time in a Bottle

Despite being largely a morning person, I have become accustomed to blogging at night. When I first started this endeavor, I was spending so many hours at home during the day, that the ideation, and often even the writing, could be done by supper. But with the advent of work (at least sometimes) and with the realization that some inspirations take all day to find, the blog has become a post-dinner (and sometimes post-homework help) activity, which, some nights, is just not ideal for a morning person.

Luckily, there are days like today, when, having enrolled one of my kids in a several-hour, far-enough-away-to-be-stuck-
there, activity, I am granted a big writing opportunity early in the day. "Time in a bottle," as it were. And what kind of morning person would I be if I didn't take advantage of that? Now, that's good time management.
 
For years, coworkers have asked me how I managed raising three kids while working hours that were often quite long. I would list things like a good husband and good child care, but it all really began with a ready sense of humor and good time management. Cooking pasta for lunches could be accomplished in the same amount of time as a quick shower. Filling out health or other school forms became a good task during bus and train rides. Buying last-minute necessities could be a stop on the way home. The list goes on. Time management is not just about the amount of time that you have. It's about your genuine belief that the things you have to do can, in fact, be done in the bottle of time that you have.
 
Freelancing has definitely challenged my time management perspective. While I may often have more time, the fact that the placement of that time changes daily means that the "bottle" is an object in constant motion. But, I figure, if I have managed all the pieces all of these years, I will manage this one too. With "time in a bottle" and my sense of humor as the cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment