Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Under My Nose

On the inside surface of our apartment door, there is, among all the kid artwork, a photo of me holding my oldest child the day she was born. It's like so many things in our lives--right under my nose every single day, yet I barely notice it.
 

Today, a visitor to our apartment did notice it, pointing out how much time has passed since then. After all, she was looking at my daughter, who is now fifteen.
 

Just as we barely notice some of the things under our noses each day, often, we barely notice the passage of time and its effect on us. While we might be keenly aware of changes in president or mayor or of kids getting taller, we tend not to notice our own changes unless they become obstacles. Did I ever give much thought to the long stretch I worked at ABC? Mostly, I just enjoyed the days and weeks and years until it was over. Did I consider how my mindset was changing with the changing landscape? Somewhat, but somewhat is never enough (in those 1-10 surveys, "somewhat" generally falls around 5).
 

Today was a day for noticing all those things under my nose. And doing something about them. And chances are, tomorrow, when I walk out the door, that photo will be the first thing I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment