Sunday, September 14, 2014

Ode To A Weekend At Home

I woke up in my own bed. I took my kids on a city bus to run an errand, and we walked twenty city blocks to follow the errand with a trip to the Cupcake ATM. We walked to another bus and printed out a long receipt before getting on. And then some of us ran around the corner to acquire ingredients for tonight's dinner.
 

The above is an absolutely mundane list of things accomplished in a day. What makes it not so mundane is that we haven't done anything close to that in months, as this is the first weekend in a long time that we have actually spent in the city--the first weekend when all of us woke up at home and felt our own carpet beneath our feet and no urgency to be anywhere else.
 

We are runners--not in the athletic sense, but in the life sense. There is almost always somewhere to go and a schedule to keep. With five members of a household, I guess that's not so surprising. So, when we came to this weekend with nowhere in particular we had to be, I'll admit, it was a bit of a shock. All day, I think I was waiting for something to change, for someone to call us to action. Sometimes, however, a weekend at home is really just that. It's not that you do nothing. It's just that you don't have to do much on a timetable. And you don't have to leave your own surroundings to do it.
 

I am sure that this phenomenon of a home weekend won't last. While we may not be traveling, soon commitments will fill up our Saturdays and take command of our Sundays. So, we'd better enjoy it now--the feel of home carpet under our feet, the luxury of running out for an ingredient. And the trip to the ATM, whether for money or for a baked good. There's nothing quite like a weekend at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment