Friday, September 19, 2014

Old Friends and New Thoughts

Earlier this week, I reconnected with a friend from elementary school. Now, I have friends and relatives who have been in touch with childhood friends for years. I, on the other hand, have largely floated from one group to the next. While I certainly have ongoing friends (and I am grateful for them!), my daily contact ends up being mostly with the people in my path, whether through work or through parenthood or through some other current endeavor.
 

I have no idea where this reconnection will lead. Like spending time with your siblings, connecting with someone from childhood is a reminder of years past--years that perhaps form who you are now, but are quite removed from the person you see in the mirror today. Is your past self worth remembering? Are your experiences from childhood ones that you remember fondly, ones that might give you strength when you are feeling overwhelmed, or are they reminders you'd rather leave behind, of days when you were awkward or scared or less than you thought you should be?
 

I have no idea where this look back will lead me. For now, it is simply a reconnection that is making me think a little out of my daily box, and I figure thinking out of the box is generally a good thing. It's not that I won't be forging ahead in the here and now. It's just that I will be opening a door to remembering what led up to the here and now. I will likely learn a little something in the process. And make a new old friend along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment