Friday, September 5, 2014

Pushing 100

As a news video editor, I build video clips, some with audio, some without, to help show the stories the newscasters are telling. My clips get from me to the broadcast by something called "pushing"--essentially I transfer a data file to the server that plays back clips during the show.
 

So, why am I passing along this piece of information that matters little to most people reading about it? Well, today, I "pushed" close to 100 video clips to the three different shows for which I edit. 100 video clips in eight hours, leaving me minimal time to think, and yet I came out of my day thinking more clearly than I often do when I've done less.
 

While I'm not saying that I want to work so hard every day that I can't think (I'm sure a few things in my personal life would suffer), there is definitely something to be said for working so intensely at something that the time goes quicker and you feel both accomplished and exhausted when you are done. In my time between jobs over the past few years, one of the most difficult things has been to assess my accomplishments each day. When you are used to getting things done, it can be debilitating to land in a position where the the things that really feel done are few and far between. And while working hard may feel as though it ages you daily, I have a feeling it can actually keep you mentally and physically younger.
 

So, while I may not be "pushing 100" in the video clip department every day, I am glad for the days that doing a job keeps me moving and growing. And pushing toward the next 100, whatever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment