Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Rolling With It

I headed off to work today, kind of looking forward to the normalcy of things. After all, even if it's called work, there is some comfort in the structure of doing what you do every day, after a few weekend days when you've "made it up as you went along."
 

Normalcy was not to be. For, just as I had settled in to my intense, but predictable, routine, I found out that a co-worker was out, meaning I would need to pick up the slack and work on a project I'd never done before.
 

Now, I'm a "roll with the punches" kind of person. I have children. I've been unemployed. I live in New York City, land of train delays and bus re-routes. I wouldn't still be standing now if I couldn't "roll with it." And yet, on a Monday, when all I was craving was coffee and normalcy, "new project" just about knocked the wind out of me.
 

Luckily, because I'm a parent, and have been unemployed, and live in New York City, the wind doesn't stay knocked out for long. Before I knew it, I was in the middle of the "new project," and though from a distance, it had looked complicated, close-up, it turned out to be well within my abilities. All that, and a chuckle or two with my producer, and what had started as a break in normalcy became an opportunity to learn something new.
 

The best thing about rolling with it is that it means you don't get rolled over. Sure, change may get in the way of normalcy. How many times have you seen a perfectly good street get torn up to be repaved? You can bemoan the mess, or you can enjoy the big truck that rolls it flat again. How many times have you realized after getting a new job how good a thing it is that you moved on from your old one? Almost every day, we are called upon to give up our normalcy, and sometimes even our coffee, to roll with the next thing that comes our way. We can curl up in our normalcy (and believe me, there was a moment when I almost did), or we can face the new. We can roll with it.
 

Today was not at all the normal day I expected. What began with a new project continued with a day's worth of reminders that nothing really stays the same for long. But I'm rolling with it. Which, to me, makes a lot more sense than being left flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment