Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Night Before Thanksgiving

As I head to work, I am surrounded by people toting small suitcases in the rain. A travel holiday is upon us. When I get to work, I am soon surrounded by people who will be working all weekend. This is news, after all, and news doesn't stop, at least not completely.
 

As I make it through this day, rain and slow buses and all, I realize that I am thankful for a lot of things...
 

A place to go where I won't be solely responsible for cooking the turkey.
 

A job that lets me go when I need to and welcomes me back with open arms when I return.
 

A coat and boots in the rain.
 

A family that is packing with me. It makes for more than just a small suitcase, but it's worth it.
 

All the snow gear I didn't throw away, even though it rarely gets used in NYC.
 

A husband who makes pies and vacuums so that I can just focus on snow gear retrieval and packing.
 

My ability to get up early, so that postponing travel because of weather doesn't have to mean missing a whole day.
 

And the list goes on. Thanksgiving may be full of food, but the day before Thanksgiving is a reminder of all that goes into and leads up to the day itself. Tomorrow, there will be time for eating. Today, I'm just thankful to have gotten here.

No comments:

Post a Comment