Sunday, November 23, 2014

What Not To

Tonight, my daughter and I watched an episode of What Not To Wear. In each hour-long episode, the hosts go from having a person throw away her entire wardrobe to giving her $5000 to buy new clothes that are supposed to be more current, more flattering, and more along the lines of what the hosts deem perfect for her.
 

It's an entertaining show. The hosts' comments, harsh as they may be, make you laugh. Perhaps it's because you agree with their assessment, particularly when they make the guest look as bad as television can. Perhaps it's that you are just glad that they are not coming into YOUR home and throwing away YOUR clothes and assaulting YOUR look. Either way, you find yourself laughing, even if the subject of their critique is frighteningly similar to yourself.
 

I came out of watching both thinking that I should perhaps throw away everything in my closet (a little extreme, since no one's offering me $5000 for a new wardrobe) and extremely grateful that I am not a makeover subject on the show. I've seen them do wonders for people's wardrobes and self-esteem, but tossing out all the old, even if it would make for cleaner closets and a new me, is more than I'd like to do. It doesn't mean I won't watch episodes of the show--it's one of the better laughs out there. It simply means I'll take the advice without losing the real me. There may be a closet cleaning in my future--What Not To Wear will do that to you. But there won't be giant garbage bins or 360 degree mirrors or critiques, complete with unflattering close-ups, of my every choice and every non-perfect body part. I'll take some of the advice, but I'll keep some of myself, thank you very much, clothes I love and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment