Sunday, November 16, 2014

Yes, and How

I recently signed on to help with an editing project for some friends of mine. Excited for new challenges, always happy to be asked, and eager to be part of a team, I immediately said "yes." The "yes," however, was in the middle of adding a second job to my weekly schedule, as well as managing school transition plans for two of my children. Sometimes "yes" happens easier than "how."
 

What I have learned over the past week is that "how" is a relative term.
 

How would I carve out computer time in a household already taking turns to type homework, watch videos, and web-surf? A little rediscovery of the word "mine" (a concept that mostly disappears when you become a parent).
 

How would I install and learn a new system quickly enough to get working? Belief that I had to and could (concepts that are your means of survival when you become a parent).
 

How would I manage not to let down--time-wise, skill-wise, or otherwise--people who had put their faith in me? Simply doing the best I could (a concept you hope is enough when you become a parent).
 

"Yes" is exciting, and "how" is scary, and there have been a few moments when "yes" almost turned into "no," and "how" almost turned into "can't." I hope to come out of this experience with some new knowledge, friends who are still friends, and the belief that "yes" can make a person really good at "how." Luckily, I've had a fair amount of practice with "yes" and "how." They're just part of life. Particularly once you become a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment