Thursday, August 27, 2015

But I Want It Yesterday!

I want things done when I want them done. Which sometimes means I want them done yesterday. Which sometimes means I tell a child multiple times to take a shower or read a book, or sometimes means I toss and turn over all the things undone.
 

The funny thing is, often when I take a step back, I see that things do get done, just in their own time. Tooth brushing may not happen when I demand it, but it happens before bed. Reading may not happen on my schedule, but it happens before the deadline, or before the library due date, or in some other way, on time. Likewise, in my own life, change sometimes happens not when I am pushing for it, but when my back is turned for a second.
 

We want to be in control. We want to know that we can make things how we want them, that we can be the masters of our time, of our careers, and of our households. And while sometimes it takes jumping in and effecting change, sometimes it just takes being patient enough to let change happen on its own, and trusting that what we want or need will happen in time--before the due date, before the deadline, before our tipping point.
 

I will probably still want things when I want them, which will still often be yesterday. But I'd like to think that once in a while, I will step back and just let things fall as they may. Who knows? I might be pleasantly surprised with how it all turns out--maybe not yesterday, but in plenty of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment