Thursday, September 10, 2015

A Little Armor

Having read about a (highly responsible) friend's smartphone screen cracking, today I purchased a suit of armor for my own. It is not shiny and silver, but it encases my phone as if it were. It is not as cute or amusing or compact as my previous "melting ice cream" case, but as I hold it and type into it, its shape and weight suddenly entirely different than they have been for two years, I am reminded of the weeks after Hurricane Sandy, when I wore sneakers for days, because they gave me a feeling of security and solid ground in a time that was full of anything but.
 

I have no idea (besides the promises on the case's packaging) whether this new "armor" will, in fact, protect my little device from anything I or the world might throw at it. I have no idea whether it will really prevent the screen from ever cracking. What I do know is that right now, the new weight and the solid feel give me an uncanny sense of a bit of certainty in an uncertain world. The way in which the new casing fills my hands gives me a little confidence in a time that makes me nervous. And my having made the change gives me a feeling of control in situations that often feel out of control.
 

We can't always create security in an insecure world. But sometimes, there are little things--sneakers, a favorite pillow, mac and cheese, or a little phone-sized armor--that can help us stand, and walk--and type and call--just a little steadier.

No comments:

Post a Comment