Wednesday, September 16, 2015

It May Be Early, But It's Never Too Late

Early this morning, I had the opportunity to observe a friend's television work. While there were familiar parts to what she did, I walked away with a whole new set of perspectives, and an accompanying set of questions.
 

As I recounted to some of the people I met all the places I'd been in my career, it almost sounded odd that I was observing. We tend to think of observing being for people just starting out, and I am certainly not that. But as I learned today, observing something new is not--well, shouldn't be--just for the newbies among us. No matter how much we know, we can always learn a little more. No matter how many places we've worked, we can gain insight from just one more. It's not just about new technology (though there was plenty of that). It's about seeing from a different vantage point, about looking in different ways. What I would have learned from observing the same place two years ago would not have been the same as what I learned today, because I'm not the same.
 

It's never too late to see a little more, ask another question, learn things we don't know. And whether we are doing, or just observing, there's always a new opportunity to discover things from a different angle. It really is never too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment