Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A Night In The Life of a Freelancer

11:30pm--I have napped wisely. When it is time to leave home for my midnight shift, I am awake. I am ready. Ready for heading out in the dark, ready for the taxi, ready for the night.
 

12:00am--I have arrived, and while the building may seem empty, I am welcomed by people who remind me it's not. Overnight is not a solitary endeavor. It is a lifestyle that others are clearly more used to than I.
 

1:00am--Hour one has passed quickly. Perhaps the wise napping has made this workable.
 

2:00am--Hour two was not quite so quick. But hey, I'm awake and alert. Maybe I really can manage this.
 

3:00am--Three hours down, but still two till my meal break. The (at least I thought so) caffeinated tea I'm practically inhaling seems to be somewhat lacking in caffeine.
 

4:00am--I must have blinked, because somehow, it became 4. Well, not really, but considering how long 3 took, 4 felt positively speedy.
 

5:00am--Meal break. As it doesn't really feel like breakfast time (though at home, I'd be rising and breakfasting right about now), I have a frozen Indian food dinner instead--a little protein, a little eye-opening spice. Perhaps I really am embracing this middle of the night thing (though a little drift off during the break reminds me otherwise). Even an hour "at lunch" is a long hour at this hour.
 

6:00am--Back from "lunch" and back to work, and what was 8 hours stretching out before me is now only 2. And anybody can do 2, right?
 

7:00am--The last hour has been full of deadlines, so has flown past. Just one hour left. One look in the ladies' room mirror reminds me my body is not used to this yet.
 

8:00am--Done, and headed home. The caffeine from the tea is finally kicking in (or is it just the fact that it is now light out?) I have made it, at least for one night.
 

Just a night in the life of a freelancer...

No comments:

Post a Comment