Saturday, September 5, 2015

Labor Days

As I head toward a weekend of work, I can't help but think back to Labor Day weekends past, when there was certainly no work on the weekend, and no work on the holiday, because no self-respecting budget-conscious soap would pay holiday rates for an entire studio crew. So Labor Day weekend was part of time away, or simply time at home to prep for the start of school, or sometimes just like any other weekend.

But times change, and work changes. Unlike soaps, news doesn't just stop because a holiday is more expensive. And unlike the days when I knew where I'd be tomorrow, and next week, and next month, these days, as I have learned over the past few years, there's no telling where I will be, and no telling how that "where" will fit into some semblance of a life. So if there is work, I go. If there are new opportunities, I explore them. Because labor, and Labor Day, are not the same as they used to be. And some days, Labor Day or not, it's just about keeping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment