Monday, September 28, 2015

Big City, Small Town

I found myself at a quintessential New York City event, one that I attended on my own over twenty years ago and that I attend these days with my kids. Along the way, in the crowds of strangers (because that's how quintessential New York City events are), I encountered people from assorted parts of my life here. Despite being a very large place, New York can feel oddly small sometimes.
 

When I attended the event all those years ago, it was with the thought that I wouldn't be in the city long, so I'd better make the most of it. Now, over twenty years later, still here, it is just one of a number of things that make the city home. It is seeing someone you know just about everywhere. It is deciding to go somewhere and simply hopping a bus or the ankle express to get there. It is feeling a part of something, even when you are just part of a crowd. It is not having to look far to find creativity and art and performance. It is being able to share a twenty-something year old memory with people who are making new memories of their own.
 

I can't say if I will be a New Yorker forever, but today, it felt a lot like my very big, very small town.

No comments:

Post a Comment