Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Good Day?

Often, at the end of the day, my son asks "Good day?" Once in a while, my response is immediate--something earth-shatteringly good has happened, or the day's activities have left me with a warm, fuzzy feeling. More often, however, my response is ever so slightly delayed. It takes me a moment to decide whether I considered the day "good," or even "amazing."

This frustrates him a bit, for in his estimation, if nothing bad has happened, it can be called a "good" day, and if you add something good to the nothing bad, the day often rises to "amazing."

It seems a little simplistic, perhaps, particularly to us grownups, who are managing and trying to make the best of all sorts of situations. And yet, when (after that moment of hesitation) I view my days through his filter of "good" and "amazing," they tend to look a whole lot better. I am able to see the joy of "nothing bad" and the even greater joy of "something good." I am able to be grateful for the small, often unnoticed moments, and able to let go of some of the mundane life moments.

Was it a good day? Sometimes, I'm not sure at first--there's a lot of "I wish" and "What if" in the way. But then I look again. And it turns out that most of the time, it was a pretty good day after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment