Thursday, February 18, 2016

It's A Stretch

I play tennis, and I am sore, which is not too surprising, as I have used muscles that just don't come into play when I am walking or editing or cooking, or even decluttering. I actually do better than I thought I would, but still, it is a stretch.

I work in a new area, on a new shift, and the next day, I am tired, which is not too surprising, as I have used muscles that don't come into play when I am doing the same work at the same time, accomplishing tasks I have before, or keeping my family on a meal and sleep schedule. I come away with new skills and new knowledge and new confidence, but still, it is a stretch.

I try to help my kids with homework, the content of which I learned more than twenty years ago. By the time we are done, they may be more test-ready, but my head hurts. I have been helpful, and I have refreshed my own memory, which is a valuable thing, but I can't help but feel that it is a stretch.

In so many parts of our lives, we can settle for what is comfortable, for what doesn't make us stretch. Perhaps we then feel better the next day, but have we really accomplished anything? Sometimes, while it may be a stretch, trying what is new gives us a good soreness--the kind of pain that pushes us to keep trying. There will always be days for doing only what we know well. But trying the things we don't will make us that much more ready to believe that we can handle something new--job-wise or life-wise--even if it is a stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment