Monday, August 29, 2016

The First Four Years

Four years ago, around this time, inspired by writing a piece that won me a membership on a job-search site, I began to write a daily blog. I had a lot to say, I guess--about what had happened over my years in soaps, about what was (or wasn't) happening in my job search, and about how my family figured into all of this. In some ways, the blog four years later looks nothing like the blog I started. There is not soap in every post, and the kids I write about these days have become people with their own sets of interests and goals.

But while the day-to-day may be different, a great deal remains the same. Four years ago, I was reminding myself, and the world, that change didn't have to break us. Four years ago, I was reminding myself, and the world, that a good story was worth telling (no matter how many, or how few, people read it). Four years ago, I was reminding myself, and the world, that celebrating the past could go a long way toward moving on to the future.

So today, four years later, the words may be different, but there are still words to write, and the message is still the same--as long as we are willing to do, and to explore, to try and to challenge, it doesn't matter how far we go from where we started--we can still believe that we are not washed up yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment