Friday, September 9, 2016

Are You Ready?

As we have approached the start of a new school year, I have wondered quite often if we were ready. We've bought the supplies (at least those we figured we'd need). We've adjusted our sleep schedules (well, we've tried). We've accomplished some last-minute appointments and tied up some summer loose ends. So, on the face of it, we are ready.

But even with supplies in hand and loose ends tied up, how often are we really ready? I can't help but think back to the times at ABC when I was passed over for a promotion, even as I thought I was ready and waiting. Eventually, my opportunities came, and I would like to think they left me in a good place for what my life was to become. But there were certainly times when I kicked myself for not being ready enough.

So, as we prepare to start this school year, I hope that "ready" means not just packed up and wearing new shoes, but open to new experiences. I hope that "ready" means not just up on time, but up for new challenges. I hope that "ready" means not just that my kids are ready to do the work, but that I am prepared to be there for them when they need my help.

Are we ready? I have no idea. It's often hard to know until we're smack in the middle of the event, the job, the challenge. So, we leap, and we hope we make it. And we leap again. Until when it really matters, we're ready--backpack, new shoes, and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment