Sunday, October 27, 2013

Legos and TV

There are once again Legos all over the floor, with one daughter building with my son and me trying to sort the little buggers by color into separate Ziploc bags. And my son points out how great it would be if ALL of us were building with him. The ship would be way bigger and would happen way faster, because it would be a family thing. This is the same kid who lobbies for family game night and family movie night on a regular basis, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
 

The thing is, I always considered Lego building a fairly solitary endeavor. My son, however, clearly views it as a group activity, an opportunity for collaboration. And in my time sorting Legos and providing needed pieces, it occurred to me that his view of building Legos is not so different from my view of making TV.  Part of what I do is editing, which can be a very solitary endeavor-editor and computer in a dark room for hours on end. What makes it fun for me, though, is the collaboration, the part when it's not just me and the computer in the dark room, but me, the computer, and other people with talents and opinions working together to make the work better, and to make the process a social one, as well as a creative one. Which sounds a lot like my son and his Legos.
 

When it comes to Legos, I am rarely the one with the creative vision. I am the assistant, the finder of pieces, a part of the team. But both in Legos and in TV production, it takes a team. And that team makes it a lot more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment