Thursday, October 10, 2013

Too Much? Or Really Not?

Thanks to a very patient piano teacher and some very cooperative fellow piano parents, we have changed my kids' piano lesson schedule multiple times this year, and we are only a few weeks into the semester. Activities just keep coming up, and it's hard to say no to things that could be enriching, educational (in an academic or in an extracurricular way), or just plain fun. And I want my kids to be able to try them all.
 

I never considered myself one of those parents who had my kids running from one activity to another. When they were little, in fact, I barely let them do anything outside of school, because it was just too hard to get everyone home at the end of the day. Consequently, there was no violin until it was required in 4th grade, no Little League until age 8, and a constant search for activities that were "of general interest" (thanks, Cheaper By the Dozen) and/or within walking distance of home, so that they would work for everyone.
 

Now that my kids are older, and mobility is less of an issue, it is hard to say no to the plethora of interesting kid activities that our city has to offer, which is why piano lessons get moved, and schedules are negotiated weekly (often daily), and my kids are frequently up late doing homework. They--and, therefore, we--are busy. Too busy? I don't think so. They are making the most of their hours, doing what I call "gulping life," participating in as many activities as we can juggle logistically and financially. At the end of the day, they might be very tired, but I believe it is a good tired, a tired born out of embracing all that life has to offer.


So, I will keep arranging and rearranging schedules as necessary. We're gulping life. And there can never be too much of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment