Thursday, October 3, 2013

There's Early--and TOO Early

I get up at 5am. There are those who might argue that 5am is ridiculously early--it's dark, and pre-newspaper, and so soon after 11pm. And yet, 5am keeps me sane. It gives me time to get myself in order before starting to wake my household, and time with absolute quiet in a household that is generally wall-to-wall noise. I might be tired sometimes, but by and large, 5am is my friend.

Last night (this morning?), however, I got up at 1:30am. And I am here to report that 1:30 is NOT the same as 5.

1:30 is your body saying, "okay, I've had a catnap, why would I sleep now?"

1:30 is no new emails to read yet, because who would be writing emails at 1:30 in the morning?

1:30 is can't do useful things like empty the dishwasher because it would make noise, and even worse than being up at 1:30 is having other family members be up WITH you at 1:30.

1:30 is "I just want to be sleeping. Why can't I be sleeping?"

1:30 is "The 5am alarm will be going off in less than 4 hours, less than 3 if I don't go back to sleep soon."

1:30 is all the things that need to be done tomorrow that you're awake enough to worry about but not awake enough to do anything about.

1:30 is knowing that your normal afternoon slump will likely happen in the morning. And perhaps again in the afternoon.

No, 1:30 is not the same as 5.

Never before have I realized (and appreciated!) how many glorious hours of sleep 5am really afforded me. I'll be shooting for that tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment