Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Barbie Head

Raise your hand if you had one of those Barbie heads. You know, the oversized blonde head and shoulders of a Barbie that sat on a base, inviting girls to do and re-do her hair and makeup.
 

Though I don't remember being a particularly girly girl, or much interested in hair and makeup, I had one--a much desired birthday gift at some age--and thanks to tag sales with fifty cent price tags, my daughters had one too.
 

Why would I be thinking about a giant Barbie head? It's odd, I agree, but as I started to ponder not just how many hats I'd be wearing this week, but how many different heads I would have to inhabit, the image just popped into my mind. You see, by day, I will be a News Editor. But tonight, I was a Single Camera Dramatic Editor (a favor for a friend). Tomorrow night, I will need to think like a Director/AD when I attend a networking function. And in my spare time, I will be a Children's Book Writer, as I work on revising my chapter and reading the others that surround it.

Barbie, even in her larger form, had nothing on me. She may have been able to have multiple hairstyles and a variety of makeup looks (much too ambitious for me), but her head remained the same--and anchored to that base! Mine, on the other hand, has learned to adapt to the tasks at hand. At least I hope it has, so that I can make the most of all the places it goes with me. So that I can be the Editor and the Director and the AD and the Writer--maybe not simultaneously, but all in the same week. And so that I can be working AND parenting well EVERY day.
 

And so that, even if I am nowhere near blonde or perfectly coiffed, I make sure I take the right head to the right event. And smile while I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment