Thursday, April 24, 2014

Spring Break and Dr. Seuss

After over a week of Spring Break, my kids returned to school today. They weren't suntanned from a week in Florida, or windburned from a week on the ski slopes. There wasn't even any jet lag (unless you count getting up at 6am today after ten days of sleeping quite a bit later than that). Their return to school was from a week and a half at home. With me working, their break was simply that--a break.
 

Before and during the break, I found myself feeling guilty about all the things I hadn't done or hadn't planned for them. Now that the break is over, however, I am feeling a little "Dr. Seuss" about it. What Dr. Seuss could possibly apply, you ask? Well, I could be talking about Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? (one of my personal favorites, complete with pants-eating plants!). The one that popped into my mind, though, was How The Grinch Stole Christmas. You see, while I may have felt a little like a Grinch, stealing some exciting vacation from my kids because I had to work, I am realizing now that it is the end of the story that rings true here. Despite the Grinch's efforts, Christmas comes to Whoville. He marvels that " It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags." That is basically how this Spring Break came--no airplanes or trains, no giant celebrations or gifts. And yet, I would venture to say, it was a break that we will remember (and not just because my kids are now old enough to remember things!)
 

My kids discovered each other (and themselves a little bit too). They might not have been holding hands and singing in the square like the Who's, but they learned some new dance moves, shot funny videos of each other, and tried out some new games.
 

They slept a lot. Like the Who's, they slept through hours of stuff happening (I mean, the Grinch steals basically everything, and they--except Cindy Lou--sleep right through it!), but when they woke up, they were pretty optimistic little creatures (not unlike--you guessed it--the Who's).
 

They ate interesting foods. Okay, no Who-pudding or Who-hash or Roast Beast, but in the absence of lunchboxes filled by me each school day, they didn't starve.
 

They improvised (remember Max the Dog as a reindeer?)
 

And, in the end, I think they considered it ten days well-spent. No ribbons or tags, boxes or bags, but in the end, not a break stolen from them, but kind of one given. Their hearts may not have grown three sizes (I don't suspect they needed to). But it turned out to be kind of a Who-feast of sorts for all concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment