Monday, April 7, 2014

Happy Endings

As I watched the final performance of the show my daughter has been rehearsing for weeks (and this past week, for many hours daily), I couldn't help but think ahead to all the things that would now happen, since the time spent in rehearsals, and in transportation to and from rehearsals, would now be free time. In a busy life, there are rarely endings, happy or otherwise. There are simply events that punctuate the weeks, that make us pause for a moment, or celebrate for a few days. They are not endings. When they end, we simply move on to the next thing. Sometimes, that "next thing" is equally satisfying, sometimes not, but regardless, we move on, no real endings, just a series of new beginnings.
 

When the show was over, I hugged her and gave her a congratulations gift card (my answer to bouquets of flowers that die in a day). And we headed home so that she could do her homework, because homework, it seems, doesn't ever end.
 

Perhaps I am cheating life by zooming past the endings.
 

Or perhaps I am just lucky that each ending seems to be simply a step toward the next beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment