Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Editing Rules

I began editing my children's book chapter today. Now that there are clearer "rules" to unite the book, I need to (among other things) make sure that my chapter "follows the rules."
 

As I began the process (which, I can see already, will happen in stolen moments here and there), I realized that I could throw out my whole original idea, pronouncing it too far from the rules, or I could make adjustments, essentially "telling" my character that her journey would now be a bit different, but that I would guide her along the way.
 

As crazy as this sounds, when you are writing a character-based chapter, you are kind of talking to and following your character. Well, at least I was. So, my initial response to the "rules" was that it would be hard to follow them while maintaining my character--more important, that it would be hard for her to exist within the newly minted "rules."
 

The truth is, in life, "rules" change all the time. We--and our children--are constantly having to adjust because the rules have changed. It's not easy. And depending on the personalities of our kids, it sometimes seems impossible. As parents, we might wish we could shield our kids from change or force our kids to fit the rules, but ultimately (often with our help), they make change work for them. Sometimes, they even come out stronger for it.
 

So, I will persist in my editing, and in shepherding my character through the "rules." Who knows? Maybe (as my children often do), she'll teach me a few things along the way. And maybe, when all is said (written, that is) and done, we both (and my chapter) will come out stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment